Image Map

Tuesday 17 February 2015

Basic Facts Homework

Hello Parents and families!

I sent home some basic facts sheets today to add to your child's reading homework each night.  How you structure this time is ultimately up to you.  I have a few suggestions that I'll put down below.

The way it works is this:
There are 8 stages for numeracy that your child will work through in their primary education.  The National Standard for the end of year 4 is Stage 5.
Your child will have one of 3 different sheets (eventually everyone will be working at their own level, but for now I've grouped them according to what I think they can do.  If the sheet is too hard, just let me know and I'll give them an easier one.  If it is too easy I'll test them and move them up!)

If your child has stage 2 - they are allowed to use their fingers, or counters, or any other equipment to work out the answer.  But the idea is to know these problems really quickly.

If your child has stage 3 - the questions will be the same as stage 2, but they are not allowed to use their fingers, or any other equipment to work out the problems.

Once your child hits stage 4 + they will have 2 minutes to complete the test (which will have slightly different questions, but the type of questions will still be the same).  They can choose to do the test by writing the answers, or saying them out loud to me.

When your child gets ALL the questions on the sheet correct in the time given they will move on to the next sheet.  They get harder as they go up.  Times table questions start at the beginning of stage 5.

I will test students as soon as they are ready to be tested, either before school, morning tea time, lunch time, or during their maths lessons.

If you have any questions about any of this, please just let me know!  I'll be in class every morning by 8:30am.

Happy learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment